Photo by Richard Hurd
Wisconsin LGBT Chamber’s Business Leadership Academy
The Wisconsin LGBT Chamber is proud to be accepting applications for the fifth year of the Business Leadership Academy.
This interactive, ten-month experience develops and strengthens the skills of existing and emerging LGBTQ and allied leaders in the workplace by providing quality and transformative programming. Today’s business environment – for non-profits, small businesses and corporations — requires leadership skills like effective communication, adaptability, collaboration and the ability to motivate.
What will be learned through the Business Leadership Academy?
Participating in the Business Leadership Academy will increase your awareness of your own unique leadership and teamwork skills.
Each of the sessions will be facilitated by industry experts, certified trainers, and other business leaders from the community. Through the Business Leadership Academy, participants will gain a deeper understanding of how to:
- Discover their leadership style and core values
- Work with and effectively manage other individuals
- Advocate for change in your workplace
- Engage a team for success and inspire others to action
- Understand and apply business finances to their work
- Care for yourself and prevent burnout
- Make a difference in your community through leadership opportunities
- Broaden their perspectives and engage in healthy debate and discussion
Through the program, you’ll be connected to an exceptional network of cross-sector civic, business and community leaders and form long-lasting and impactful professional relationships that will aid in your leadership development.
At the beginning of the program, each participant will take an Insights Discovery assessment to learn more about their personal and professional leadership style to build a framework of success as leaders in the workplace. Sessions will also feature a number of readings and case studies for group discussion so that participants can apply the learnings to real-world situations.
Benefits of Completing the Business Leadership Academy
At the conclusion of the Business Leadership Academy, all those that complete the program will receive a Certificate of Completion, public recognition by the Chamber as a program graduate, and the ability to list the program on your resume.
Graduates also be eligible for participation in the Business Leadership Academy’s Alumni Network which will connect you with previous program graduates for continued learning, professional development, and networking.
Program Schedule and Time Commitment
The 2023 Business Leadership Academy will meet in-person in Milwaukee once a month from February to November on the second Tuesday of each month from 3:00 to 7:00 p.m. There will be a total of 10 sessions for the program. We do ask that all attendees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and we will continue to follow CDC guidance on mask usage.
While all sessions will take place in-person, we recognize that not everyone may be able to travel to Milwaukee for these meetings. While we would prefer attendees to be in-person, we will be providing a hybrid option for those that need to join sessions via Zoom.
Successful completion of the program requires a minimum attendance at 80% of the sessions (minimum of 8 of 10 sessions) and being an active participant in the work of the program.
Attendance requirements reflect the commitment necessary to receive a meaningful experience from investment in the Business Leadership Academy. Participants and their employers must be willing to commit the necessary time to fully participate in the program. If issues do arise during the Program year, we encourage you to reach out for a conversation with our Program Director.
Any Chamber member is eligible to apply to participate in the year-long Business Leadership Academy. Ideal participants are those who have:
- An interest in growing their leadership skills.
- A desire to advance in their career.
- A strong interest in influencing change and having a positive impact on their community.
- A desire to develop new professional relationships.
- A minimum of 5 years of work experience.
- A willingness to commit to attending all Academy sessions during the course of the year and being an active participant in discussions and activities.
Application Process and Timeline
Applicants for the program will be required to submit an online application on the Chamber’s website, which includes submitting a resume and providing short answers to a few questions. Applications will be reviewed by a committee made up of Chamber members supporting the program.
Here is a schedule of the application process:
- December 1, 2022: Application process opens.
- January 13, 2023: Application submission deadline (5:00 p.m.)
- January 21, 2023: Applicants notified of acceptance decision
- February 7, 2023: Tuition Payment Due
- February 14, 2023: First Session of Business Leadership Academy in Milwaukee (3:00 to 7:00 p.m.)
After that the Business Leadership Academy will continue to meet on the second Tuesday of each month from 3:00 to 7:00 p.m.
The cost for each participant in the program is $1,500.
This fee includes the registration fee for all sessions, the Insights Discovery assessment, as well as additional leadership and program materials.
Employers are eligible to sponsor employees to participate in the program. In addition, a limited number of scholarships are available, as well as various payment plans if needed.
If you have additional questions on the program, please contact Phillip Bailey, Program Director, at email@example.com.